08 June, 2018

March Snapshot

...a ship out on the sea/ contradicting words/ that’s not how it’s supposed to be/ caught in a battle that’s not your own.... 

March 22, 2018-

I arrived a bit before 11 am, found evidence that Mother had let the dogs outside and fed them. There was no indication that she'd eaten any breakfast, and she was in the bed, but with clothes on. They may have been yesterday's.

I offered breakfast, and even though she said she had eaten breakfast, she came down while I prepared oatmeal with banana, 2 eggs fried in olive oil, buttered English muffin with fig jam, juice, coffee, meds, vitamins and a whole pear, sliced, with Swiss cheese. She ate and ate until about 12:15, and then we walked dogs around the block together. I bundled her up really well with boots and gloves and everything. Jackie tried to tuck a tissue into her bra strap and eventually laughed when she realized she was having trouble doing that because she wasn't wearing a bra. 

12:30 pm- When we returned, I got started shoveling and she I guess looked at the newspaper or rested on the sofa. When I came in, I encouraged her to shower so we could go out. She did, and I gave her a lunch of tuna salad, celery sticks and crackers, I went back to shoveling. She poked her head out and said, "Aren't you done yet? Leave that; it'll melt soon enough. I can make you some nice hot cocoa." I told her I wasn't done yet, and would be in after a little while longer.

No one seems to understand that being out while it's snowing, driving during snowfall and shoveling the snow, that's really the only bit of winter weather that I enjoy.

Once I'd finished, I shot a pic of her walk to send to EAS, and of Mario and Mother's cleared walks to put on Timmy's FB so he'd know I'm keeping an eye and headed indoors. Mother told me she'd made me some nice hot cocoa. I said that was sweet but I'd rather have water. Did she finish her tuna sandwich and celery?

"Yes, of course I did," she told me.

Of course you did.


"Oh. I guess I didn't make that cocoa for you after all."

I told her I'd rather have a glass of water, as I was warm from the exercise anyway. After that, we went out in search of cocoa packets, as she was down to only 2, including the one she 'made' for me. 

3pm- Costco was open and mostly empty and had no cocoa. I bought seaweed salad for her, though, and Pillsbury crescent rolls, and a jar of chocolate hazelnut spread, which I hid on the bottom pantry shelf, in the corner. Then we went to Aldi. Aldi ALSO had no cocoa packets, but I bought bananas for her. She said, "A Casa, Jaimie," but I was intent on those cocoa packets, so we went to Shop Rite, and she bought cocoa packets, Belvita biscuits, banana chips, yogurt pretzels and raisin bread with her card. 

By then it was 5:30, and the light was waning. Instead of removing our coats, we got dog leashes and walked around the block before it got all the way dark. I put some crescent rolls in the oven while I did a bit more shoveling, and then heated Jambalayah for her supper. She ate supper around 6:15 or so, two crescent rolls, a bowl of Jambalayah, and finally drank her juice. I fed the dogs about 6:30.

6:45- I asked if she wanted to play with My Singing Monsters. She did not. After a dessert of a lemon tea cake, she was ready for bed. We brushed teeth together and she swished with Crest rinse. She didn't want me to help her put on a nightshirt, so I went downstairs. By 7:10, I heard no more pouncing from upstairs.

I washed dishes, freshened her pillboxes, put out a fresh can of wet dogfood near the food bin where she could see it and removed a few sale circulars to the recycle bin.  I made snack packets with the snacky things from the grocery. 

8 pm I turned out lights, locked up and left. 

It was a good day. Little Jackie had very little looping, no snotty remarks and wasn't argumentative at all. She exercised some, ate plenty and did not grab for all the cookies at any of the grocery stores we visited. She was pleasant and good-humored, and we enjoyed the pretty snow. 


Sean McDonald; Flower In The Snow

No comments: