21 May, 2008

Teevee; News?

...there's nothing I believe in more than my own insignificance/ so why does everybody think that my words can make a difference/ I just don't have time to think up every social consequence....


In Entertainment News (an oxymoron, in my opinion; I know- nobody asked), we see art imitating, um, art. If television (Law And Order SVU) and improv (ImprovEverywhere) qualify as art; there is some disagreement.


Also, you knew it was only a matter of time before obesity was blamed for global warming. You knew that. Right? On Reuters, folks, so you know it's true.


Satuday Night Live, not precisely improv, not exactly art, and for about two decades, not even funny, has recently come up with a few watchable items, including this one.



Yep, that's the actual Senator John McCain on SNL.


And the Democratic race continues. It's entertaining, at least to those of us who don't give a shit WHO we get, as long as GWB leaves office, please God.


Is it news? Is it art? Is it improv? The people promoting this miserable contraption would like us to believe it's improv. Er, improvement. But I thought we'd said goodbye to corsets, except as, mmmmmm, recreational lingerie.


Speaking of recreation, who hasn't heard the news about Ted Kennedy? Poor Ted. He's being described as "the last lion of the Senate", and everyone everywhere is wishing him a full recovery. Excuse me? I like his iconic value, and think he provided the template for our loveably excessive ex-president Bill Clinton, but let's remember that Ted's only the most famous of a family of Congressional drunk drivers . Malignant tumor? I imagine that Mary Jo Kopechne is snickering in her grave. I guess this'll ruin his bid for the 2012 Presidential race.


Finally, I'm certain many of us were extremely anxious about the plight of pandas in earthquake-stricken China. They're going to be fine.

In case that was your top concern this week.


(Politically Correct; SR71)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I do very much care who ends up in the White House- McCain seems to think that continuing to muck about in the Middle East is a good idea, while Hillary is openly manipulative- she uses tears when it serves her image.

Obama, on the other hand, has stayed very cool under rather intense fire from all sides- and that is a trait that I'd prefer to see in a global leader, rather than a peevish old man or someone who sheds crocodile tears for the cameras.

But maybe that's just me.

As for Kennedy- I've never been overly impressed with him in any form, but at the same time, having lost an aunt to brain cancer, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.