06 June, 2005

Just Wanna

...I wanna be the one to walk in the sun....

It's barely 10 am, and I've got my top off already. I grin back at the flower seller on the corner. There is beauty in his toothless smile above the lush red blossoms.

Pretending my swimsuit top is a bra (or sometimes the reverse) I pull off my shirt for maximum exposure. I see other drivers in their (fancy, souped-up, expensive, spotless, large- choose an adjective) cars and feel a bit sorry for them. Sure, mine's a beater, but it's a rag-top beater, baby.

I think I am having more fun than they are.

"You have more fun than most people," he says.

I do, don't I? Why do you think that is?

"Probably because you've decided to."

Can't argue that.

Happy drunks in the backseat sing along to the Beatles on our drive through misty, moisty wee hours early morning, seeking Last Call and Rock Star Parking.

"I'd never ridden in a convertible before," he says. "That was the most fun I've had in, I don't know, maybe ever."

I feel that way every time.

Yes. Every time.

(Girls Just Wanna Have Fun; Cyndi Lauper)

No comments: