30 June, 2005

First Impressions

...I thought the sun rose in your eyes/ and the moon and stars were the gifts you gave/ to the dark and the empty skies....

Yes, Robert, news of a visit inspires an excited squeal. And an actual sighting provokes jumping up and down and jiggling. Next time you're here, I'm sure I'll be thrown out of the airport...

I do put stock in first impressions. I've spent significant portions of time looking at people, and have had opportunity to watch folk while they were unaware of being watched. I think my first impressions are usually valid.

I have been wrong. Dead wrong. Sometimes notably, flamingly, breathtakingly wrong, and ended up hurt because of it. This makes me sad, because it's more indicative of the other person's ability to mask rather than a failure of my reading skills.

I rarely allow a first impression to be my only impression, however, because I've been dead right about some people, and ended up liking them anyway.

(The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face; Roberta Flack)

No comments: