19 July, 2005

Swelter On

...all around people looking half-dead/ walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a matchhead....

The Questing Sniff and I head out, to see what there is to be smelled this sultry summer day. For the record, 'sultry' is one of my favorite words, due in no small part to Throw Momma From The Train, with Danny DeVito and Billy Crystal. However, there are limits, even for me. We go out anyway. I think the Questing Sniff is interested in a butterfly, but it's a small Siamese cat in a fork of a tree. It turns its lemur-like face towards me. Sweating just from standing still, I tug the dog along. We top the hill, and I hear the sound of rushing water. There is a hydrant open on the corner. This is not unusual; I live in the city. What is unusual is that there is no one playing in the hydrant.

Well, no one but me.

(Summer In The City; the Lovin' Spoonful)

No comments: