08 April, 2004

No Kidding

turn and face the strange....

The production of Watergate! the Musical was the most stressful time in my life to date, including childbirth.

I know that sounds unbelievable, but in childbirth, I had little to do other than lie around, breathe and try to stay calm. I trusted the medical professionals who attended me, and there they were, taking care of me, making sure I was as comfortable as possible and that the baby made its journey from my body safely. It was probably more stressful for them.

I guess that's a good analogy. During the process of production, not only did I have to depend on team members, some of whom came through for me and some who didn't, but I helped guide a huge project, and deal with emergencies, STAT, that came up, one after another after another. Often, I was frustrated, occasionally outright thwarted, consistantly overwhelmed and out of my depth. Sometimes, it was just plain scary. It's good I was so ignorant of the amount of work that would be involved, so naive about the scope of the whole thing, otherwise, I'm sure I would have been terrified to even start.

From time to time, I must step off the cliff of Known into the dizzying space of Unknown, and fall, fall, fall.

Even if I hit bottom and am bashed to a pulp.

Like a cartoon character, I rise, ready for another episode.

Next time, maybe I'll have an anvil dropped on me.





No comments: