30 April, 2004

Waking to Naked

...skating away/on the thin ice of a new day...

I unclip my hair and watch him come apart.

"I had no idea," he stammers, before becoming completely incoherent.

I laugh, stop suddenly. He's serious. And unsuccessful in his attempt to not stare.

Vaguely ashamed, as though I'd inadvertently flashed a good friend, I sweep the wildness into a bundle of messy repression, making some smartass (or perhaps asinine) quip.

The phrase "naked longing" lodges in my gut.

**************************************

"Do you want your side back?"

"Not necessarily. Will you not be able to sleep on that side?"

"I sleep in a real bed so rarely, nothing bothers me. I thought it would bother you."

"Actually, it's kind of a novelty to be on this side of you."

Still, when he returned from the bathroom, it was "his" side he climbed into.


No comments: